Friday, July 27, 2007

Life of a Newbie in the Training Industry (Part 2)

Shortly after the first talk, I was scheduled for the next talk which was about 2-3 weeks away. This time, I spoke at the Malaysian Institute of Management (MIM). My topic was 'Unleash Your Creativity - The Fun and Magical Approach'. This was actually a very challenging experience for me because I was speaking to an entirely different group of people. About 90 people came for the talk and these were CEOs, CFOs, CTOs, COOs, Managing Directors, Vice Presidents of corporations, Department Heads and senior people. Up to this point in my life, I had never spoken to such a large group of senior people (some of them were almost TWICE my age!!). And these are people who really know their stuff. These are people who have years and years of experience in the business world. So, it was kinda stressful for me at first, because I didn't know what to expect. So, here I was, challenging and expanding the boundaries of my comfort zone again. I remember asking myself, "Why am I doing this to myself?", "Why am I causing so much stress to myself?" But of course, I understood that, for me to grow, I have to do the things that I'm not comfortable with. I remember reading this interesting quote from a book (forgot the title and author of the book), "Do what you HAVE TO DO first, then you'll be able to do the things you LIKE TO DO, but if you choose to do what you LIKE TO DO first, chances are...you'll end up doing what you HAVE TO DO (even though you may not enjoy it) for the rest of your life". And there's this other quote which I really like, by Jim Rohn, America's leading business coach and motivator; "If you choose to be hard on yourself, life will be easy on you, but if you choose to be easy on yourself, life will certainly be hard on you!" So, I made a choice to be HARD on myself now, so that life would be EASY on me in the future.



I swear I don't know why I was laughing like that...



This is Dr. Wilson Tay, CEO of MIM presenting me with a token of appreciation. Wanna know what's in it? I'll show you in my next posting...a very interesting and creative gadget....

The 2 hour talk at MIM went well. Was certainly a very valuable experience for me!

No comments: