Sunday, July 29, 2007

Token of Appreciation from MIM

As promised, this is the token of appreciation that I received from MIM for my 'No-Fee' talk. It's actually a device that helps promote Creativity. There are unlimited ways to assemble this device. The challenge here is to find the best and fastest way to put it together from scratch. As I always mention in my Creativity trainings, Creativity is about 'Doing Things / Tasks Better & Faster'. The better and faster you can assemble this device, the more Creative you are!


Fig 1
Fig 2
Fig 3
Fig 4
Fig 5
Fig 6
Fig 7
Fig 8
Fig 9
Fig 10

When I opened up the box that housed this device, I found 7 pieces of weird shaped parts (Fig 1 & 2). There were 3 red parts, 3 white parts and 1 red platform(Fig 2 - Fig 6). On my first attempt to put it up together, I was all hand and legs. It took me 20 minutes just to figure out how the whole thing works (Ok...I'm a slow starter!). As I was about to give up, I remembered one of the definitions of Creativity that I share with my fellow participants during my Creativity trainings; Creativity is about saying 'YES' to Impossiblities. So, I persevered and another 20 minutes later, I was beaming proudly at the end result of my 40 minutes of hardwork (Ok Ok! I admit, I'm an extremely slow starter!). Of course, after a few rounds of practice, I was able to reduce the time needed to assemble this device. Last I tried, it took me less than 15 seconds (So, I guess I'm getting more Creative? Haha). Fig 7 & Fig 8 shows the approach that I used to assemble this device. I experimented with quite a number of ways and up until now, this is the fastest way I've found to put this device together. I'm still searching for more ways though! Never stop looking for better and faster ways of doing things! Striving for Continuous Improvement is one of the keys to Excellence! Fig 9 shows the device (which is actually a round shaped savings box) and the platform on which it rests. Fig 10 is the final product!
Oh, btw...you can actually buy this device from MIM if you're interested. I don't know the price though....I got it as a token of appreciation, remember?

No comments: